old Steinway ivories

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Thu, 23 Oct 2003 13:04:00 EDT

<< I guess I'll just have to take a perfectly good keytop off and see if
there's any linen underneath. All this is not of great import, of course -
I'm just interested to know if they sometimes did it this way (just using
hide glue) sometimes. >>

Many STeinway pianos used no linen.  I have repaired quite a few that did and
didn't!  Check your level without, and if correct, I would suggest a very
thin whiting mixture on the old wood, (clean well, first), and then attachment
with PVC-E glue.

Ed Foote RPT
 <A HREF="http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/399/six_degrees_of_tonality.html">
MP3.com: Six Degrees of Tonality</A>