Fw: Steingraeber by candle light......

Thu, 23 Oct 2003 19:44:52 +0100

Please Ande Oorebeek, What is WURZEN? It sounds like some Harry Potter
solution. ;-)
Regards
Michael G (UK)
----- Original Message -----
From: <antares@euronet.nl>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Thursday, October 23, 2003 4:27 PM
Subject: Re: Steingraeber by candle light......

On woensdag, okt 22, 2003, at 22:39 Europe/Amsterdam, Richard Brekne
wrote:

> Just as an afterthought...
>
> The piano we heard was just about the size of a Steinway B.... and
> personally I thought it compared very well to most of the B's I've
> heard. The Steingręber 168 that we had a chance to play and check out
> is
> roughly the size of a Steinway M. The M is not my favourite small grand
> personally and I did enjoy the Steingręber for what this size usually
> has to offer.

The M is not my favorite either. Luckily I don't see very many of those.

My thoughts about Steingraeber grands is that they remind me of a
combination of several makers :
There is a bit of Seiler, Feurich, Pfeiffer, Schimmel, Steinway (the
treble) and old Schiedmayer. And very maybe some Bechstein taste too.
A very German instrument.
I think that indeed Udo Steingraeber/Schmidt is successful in making
smaller grands and.....they use WURZEN, which makes all the difference.

André Oorebeek