Fw: Fw: Steingraeber by candle light....../felt

Fri, 24 Oct 2003 10:17:53 +0100

Thanks Andre for your enlightenment. For some odd reason I know the name
"Wieckert" although the early 1900s was a bit before my time.:-) What about
"Royal George" then :-) What felts do Fazioli and Steinway use I wonder? It
doesn't matter what the subject is, there's always a gap in one's
knowledge:-!
Regards
Michael G (UK)
----- Original Message -----
From: <antares@euronet.nl>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Thursday, October 23, 2003 10:53 PM
Subject: Re: Fw: Steingraeber by candle light......

On donderdag, okt 23, 2003, at 20:44 Europe/Amsterdam, Michael Gamble
wrote:

> Please Ande Oorebeek, What is WURZEN? It sounds like some Harry Potter
> solution. ;-)
> Regards
> Michael G (UK)

Wurzen, Michael, is the name of a place in the East of germany.
It is the place where the finest hammer felt in the world is made today.
Wurzen felt is called after the name of the place.

It used to be called Weickert felt around the 1900 's and all the great
piano makers used it then.
today, STW uses it, along with Bösendorfer, Bechstein, Yamaha handmade,
Steingraeber, and many others.

It is just a matter of taste and the musical ability to distinguish the
difference in quality between felt and felt.

In the past I have written many words about this.
The archives will tell you more.

André Oorebeek