CA - Tuning Pins - Stellar Results

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 24 Oct 2003 06:43:27 -0400

Old upright. Several technicians had already refused to work on the =
piano. "We called several piano tuners and they wouldn't even come out." =
Someone gave it to new owners. Less than stellar piano. Tried in vain to =
get owners to toss it out. A dozen or more tuning pins that were so =
loose that the pitch dropped several steps when you removed tuning lever =
from pin. Remainder of pins were marginal. No plate bushings. Plate was =
stained (like with paint remover) around all tuning pins and the few =
pins that had any torque were very mushy feeling - some type of tuning =
pin tightener chemical treatment had apparently been used in the past.

I warned the owners that CA sometimes works well and sometimes has no =
beneficial effect. I expressed concerns on how the past application of =
pin dope might affect the effectiveness of the CA application.

This past Tuesday laid piano back on tilter. Wiggled and marked worst =
tuning pins. Applied one bottle of Hot Stuff thin CA to all tuning pins =
with extra application to worst pins. Came back last night (Thursday) =
and pitch raised and tuned the old beastie. Maybe a dozen pins had =
around 80 to 100 inch-pounds of torque. The remainder had up to 200 =
inch-pounds of torque. Several were arm killers!

Lady who hadn't played in 15 years after taking 12 years of lessons as a =
child was thrilled as she sat down and ripped into some Chopin - with =
the keys clickety-clackity with lost motion, jacks clicking with missing =
butt felts, hammers double striking, soundboard/ribs cracks buzzing.   =
:-(     Oh well. She appeared quite oblivious to all the noise - =
appeared to have the ability to filter everything out but the music as =
she grinned ear-to-ear. I hope she has a durable noise filter!

I told her to play the piano for a while and if she was going to keep =
and play it there were a "few" (thousand) things we could do to improve =
the old piano.

Just thought I would share. Amazing results!   :-)

Terry Farrell