Ivories/work on a Hazelton grand

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 24 Oct 2003 13:31:37 -0400

"I told them usually, only Steinways have soundboard replaced and it =
would not be worth it."

Any piano can be a good candidate for soundboard replacement. If one is =
rebuilding a piano for resale, yes, Steinways generally have a better =
return on investment that some pianos of other manufacture. But if a =
person or institution owns a good quality piano, they do not wish to =
replace it, and the soundboard is not performing up to expectation, then =
any such piano is a logical candidate for soundboard replacement.

"I told them usually, only Steinways have soundboard replaced and it =
would not be worth it."  IMHO, this applies only to folks that rebuild =
pianos for resale (but keep in mind that a host of other manufacturers =
fall into this category also - M&H, Bosendorfer, Bechstein, etc.)

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Alpha88x@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Friday, October 24, 2003 11:29 AM
  Subject: Ivories/work on a Hazelton grand

  Greetings,
      =20
         As a rookie tuner, I cannot spring for a Pierce Piano Atlas =
just yet.  A church has a 7' Hazelton grand. The serial is #26446. Would =
someone look up what year was this made? I saw on the internet that some =
of these Hazeltons are resorable and sought after, since they were a =
pretty good quality piano.

         The action & pedals' box needs about 30 hours of shop work to =
get the action into a playable condition. Soundboard is half toasted,  =
(not the best resonance) but when you play it, its decent.  I told them =
usually, only Steinways have soundboard replaced and it would not be =
worth it. So without having the board replaced, they'd  possibly prefer =
to fix it to playable at this time. Then I saw on the internet that some =
of these Hazeltons are restored.

          Also, the keytops are ivories and 19 of the head pieces are =
missing.  I am thinking of totally replacing the keytops with plastic. =
Would this be a sacrelige? What does one do with the old ivories? Pack =
up the tusk and give it to them for future possible restoration, or sell =
to reclaim and give them credit? How does this work? The furniture on =
this piece is pretty banged up. Suggestions on what to do?

  Thanx,
  Julie Gottschall
  Reading, PA