Ivories/work on a Hazelton grand

Dave Nereson davner@kaosol.net
Sat, 25 Oct 2003 01:44:04 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: <Alpha88x@aol.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Friday, October 24, 2003 9:29 AM
Subject: Ivories/work on a Hazelton grand

> Greetings,
>
>        As a rookie tuner, I cannot spring for a Pierce Piano Atlas just yet.
> A church has a 7' Hazelton grand. The serial is #26446. Would someone look up
> what year was this made? I saw on the internet that some of these Hazeltons
> are resorable and sought after, since they were a pretty good quality piano.
>
>        The action & pedals' box needs about 30 hours of shop work to get the
> action into a playable condition. Soundboard is half toasted,  (not the best
> resonance) but when you play it, its decent.  I told them usually, only
> Steinways have soundboard replaced and it would not be worth it. So without having
> the board replaced, they'd  possibly prefer to fix it to playable at this time.
> Then I saw on the internet that some of these Hazeltons are restored.
>
>         Also, the keytops are ivories and 19 of the head pieces are missing.
> I am thinking of totally replacing the keytops with plastic. Would this be a
> sacrelige? What does one do with the old ivories? Pack up the tusk and give it
> to them for future possible restoration, or sell to reclaim and give them
> credit? How does this work? The furniture on this piece is pretty banged up.
> Suggestions on what to do?
>
> Thanx,
> Julie Gottschall
> Reading, PA

It's 'sacrilege'.   Yeah, if there are 19 missing ivory heads, I would have new keytops put on, unless you can find someone to sell you 19 ivories that will match the rest of the keyboard (doubtful).  Soak or steam  the old ivories off and hoard them for odd replacements on old pianos.
    Most churches can't afford all new ivories ($1500 or so), a new soundboard, or refinishing.  I would just make it playable.  If it's banged-up and needs a new board, it wouldn't be worth doing one job without also doing the other.    --David Nereson, RPT