Rib Support

Sun, 26 Oct 2003 11:47:43 +0100

Hi List

I wanted to try and better explain why I am having difficulty in
accepting that the ribs in a CC board do not support crown against down
bearing. Please follow the following reasoning and diagrams and you will
see where I am stumped.

First is a panel that is simply bent across the grain and held into
place with a cable appropriately attached on the ends of the panel.
Obviously, when down bearing is applied, the outward pressure on the
cable is increased. This entire situation is going to be the same if one
first dries out the soundboard, then securing that same cable tightly,
let the panel take on enough MC to form the same crown.

[Image]

Replacing the cable with a piece of wood doesn't really change a whole
lot conceptually.  The rib will  be under the same amount of tension as
the cable was, though the amount of physical strain may differ.
Pressing down on the panel is definitely going to be resisted by both
the panel and the rib. If the assembly is only resting on supports at
the edge, down bearing might even result in some downwards bending of
the rib.. but I will have to try this to see. Still, the panels edge
will <<bend>> in a downwards direction, and there might be some reaction
in similar direction by the ribs. In any case, the assembly as a whole
will resist any down bearing for the same basic reasons as above.

[Image]

Now if the rib is secured to the panel such that it bends a bit in the
same direction as the panel, (i.e. glue say about 10 inches in on each
side)  then the only thing that has really changed is that the rib bends
upwards a bit... as in the below drawing. Yet the same basic condition
exists. Downwards pressure in the panel increases the outwards pressure,
yet this is resisted just in the same way as in the previous two
examples, so in response both panel and rib will feel an increased
stress and will strain against that stress until one of the pieces fail,
which of course will be the panel. But until that point is reached, the
entire system will resist down bearing vigorously. No doubt the rib will
straighten at some point, and the relative tension/compression on the
top and bottom sides will equalize, but it will have to experience an
increase in overall tension for this to happen, which it will resist.
The panel will also straight out at somepoint... but nobody believes for
one second that it wont be under stress when its flat.. So why should
the rib be any different ? Opposite side of the same coin. Both will
physically strain against the stress, the panel a good deal more then
the ribs, but the stress levels are the same on both.

[Image]

The only thing that remains is to simply glue the entire rib to the
soundboard, but I cant see that that changes anything. If the above
three steps hold, then it seems in error to say that the only thing that
supports crown in a CC board is compression in the panel. The entire
system, panel and ribs alike will strain against down bearing.

Ok... so this seems to make perfect sense to me, and though ribs are not
acting as beams in their support, they can neither be said to be purely
fighting crown. Quite the opposite. The fact that the rib is bent in the
process, and of course resists this bending can be said about the
soundboard as well. But I dont see that simple bending of either
describes their condition adequately.

Cheers
RicB

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.

--------------F051834B16AE1D67351FEB24
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

--------------F051834B16AE1D67351FEB24
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: C:\\DOCUME~1\\RICHAR~1\\LOCALS~1\\Temp\\nsmail08.jpeg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 10406 bytes
Desc: not available

--------------F051834B16AE1D67351FEB24
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: C:\\DOCUME~1\\RICHAR~1\\LOCALS~1\\Temp\\nsmail09.jpeg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 5734 bytes
Desc: not available

--------------F051834B16AE1D67351FEB24
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: C:\\DOCUME~1\\RICHAR~1\\LOCALS~1\\Temp\\nsmailM2.jpeg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 9607 bytes
Desc: not available

--------------F051834B16AE1D67351FEB24--