Steingræber and CC boards

Mon, 27 Oct 2003 15:47:40 +0100

Hi Ron.

I'll try and respond in one bit at the top here instead of mixing up
comments all over the place below. 1st off... let me just say that I
really take no position about which type of board is <<better>> then the
other in any sense of the word. My interest in all this is two fold. One
to simply report what I see and hear from others in the industry, and
two, to try and weed out some of the false or overstated claims made by
anyone for any reason.

I'm sure you can understand this last bit as you immediately raise the
credibility issue with regard to the reported views of Mr. Steingręber.
And to be sure... does he really have an experience base that qualifies
him to pass such judgment ?... Is he being purely objective ? Does he
build CC boards because of that, or is he just justifying the CC board
method in anyway he can ? I suppose we could ask the same questions of
any particular builder, and no doubt we do. But in most cases, it will
be hard to establish just how much they do or dont know about all the
ways of building a panel, and the consequences of each. We can assume
that a successful builder at least knows how to build a useable
instrument though I think.

In any case, I feel I am rather dispassionate about the "whose right"
side of all this, being much more interested in "what's right".  And its
in that spirit I bring up much of what I do. For example I find it
alarmingly odd that the argumentation presented here in favor of RC
boards is so very convincing, yet so many of the most important
manufactures seem to employ some form or another of CC board. The
Japanese have used enormous resources on piano building research (that
they keep to themselves largely). I've seen the layout and size of the
Petrof research facilities, and talked to two acoustics professors they
have employed about the general scope of their research. I could go
on... but I just have to assume these and other manufacturers know
something of these matters and base their decisions on some significant
degree of understanding.

So, I ask, and I prod, and I no doubt tick off more then a few...
because I am curious and I want to know, despite whatever limiting
factors I have to deal with.  One thing comes clear nearly immediately.
Piano builders and piano technicians are most often very passionate
about the correctness their own methods. We regularly overstep what we
really know in attempts to justify our views, and that requires of each
of us a healthy portion of both humility and patience with each
other.... that is ... if we really want to learn anything from each
other.

Over to the technical issue you bring up... I'd love to hear more about
spring rate, and how that is supposed to affect the acoustics of the
panel. Some would have it that its only the mass and stiffness of the
assembly that are in the end important. So by all means go for it.

As for Steingręber pianos... These past months have seen several members
of this list offer some pretty wonderfully sounding praise for his
instruments, both from an artistic point of few and in the course of
some of the design issues discussions. So naturally I was very much
looking forward to looking them over a bit. Nice puppies to be sure. But
I have to admit I find it then fascinating to find he takes the position
he does on the soundboard issue... and that they take the CC panel
method to the extremes they do.

Cheers
RicB

--