Steinway Upright question

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco@MARTIN.LUTHER.EDU
Mon, 27 Oct 2003 10:18:01 -0600

RPT Phil,

At 10:59 10/27/2003 -0500, you wrote:

>..it's an older one - 1906 to be exact - hammer flange bushings have been
>reamed and re-pinned - bridal straps have been replaced.
>
>The reason for doing the work to begin with was because the action was
>very sluggish..now, if you isolate just the action without the key, the
>action responds fine, but when you use some of the keys, the action
>becomes sluggish, especiaally when the dapmer pedal is depressed.
>
>I should mention that the piano is on a dealership floor.
>
>I have eased both balance rail(not much left there) and front rail
>bushings on the worst offenders with minimal to no improvement.
>
>Before I do what I want to do to make this action more playable,
>suggestions are warmly welcomed.
>
>-Phil Bondi(FL)
>phil@philbondi.com

That dapmer pedal can be a bear... ;-}
also a good clue...

Have the capstans created deep craters in the wippen cloth? For a piano of
1906 vintage t'would be a distinct possibility.

If the key is free and the action is free, then the problem, IMMHO, would
be at the interface between the two.
My 2¢.

Conrad Hoffsommer, Decorah, IA
Household Hint: A set mouse trap placed on top on of your alarm clock
  will prevent you from rolling over and going back to sleep.