Soundboard clamps

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Mon, 27 Oct 2003 20:49:56 -0500

David,

Here are some photos of some of the clamps I use.

The large ones in the rack (I have several racks like this) are Wetzler
518s. These are very heavy duty clamps. I also have some 418s. You need
32 larger clamps like this for a D. I have them outfitted with a
reversible sliding clamp pad.

The small clamps are for the belly rail. I have six 2H08s for the bind
bar and 18 308s for the rest of the belly rail.

http://www.wetzler.com/

I have some (4) Bessy unibodies that come in handy for the tail were the
leg mount gets in the way.

You need to make clamping cauls to fit various models in order to
distribute the pressure. Sorry I don't have any digital photos of these
yet. I have all the Steinway and Mason & Hamlin models made. For the
rare times I build a Soundbaord for other pianos I make one out of ply
wood and use blocks. The permanent ones are made from pin block stock
with blocks attached with screws. They have a bevel machined in their
bottoms to match the rast angle and taper. Steinway makes these from
scraped rims.

John Hartman RPT

John Hartman Pianos
Rebuilding Steinway and Mason & Hamlin