Another old player condemned

Kevin E. Ramsey kevin.e.ramsey@cox.net
Thu, 30 Oct 2003 07:00:30 -0700

Jeffrey,,  I would have probably done the same.  After you work on one =
of these for two or three days, you still don't have anything to show =
for your efforts, and you're afraid to charge what your time is worth.

    Nice touch with giving them a copy of "How to buy a good used piano" =
though.

Kevin=20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Jeffrey Schlaybach=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, October 30, 2003 9:42 AM
  Subject: Another old player condemned

  Out of curiousity, I'd like some opinions related to the advice I gave
  yesterday to a family with an old player (gutted) made by York Piano =
Company
  (serial # 66413).

  I was asked to come a tune the piano and told there were a few keys =
not
  working. There are 2 children who play it and one has started at a =
local
  piano institute.

  I moved the beast away from the wall and the entire piano fell =
slightly
  backward. There was a block of wood on the back right corner to =
support the
  missing wheel.

  Upon further inspection: the pinblock was cracked at numerous places, =
tuning
  pins were loose as a result and had been doped by someone in the past.
  Hammer was broken off on one key, strings were broken, pitch was high =
at
  some sections and low at others (this seemed odd to me that some would =
be
  sharp), treble and bass bridges were very cracked up, cabinet finsihed =
was
  poor and veneer was pulled off at places. Jack springs were missing, I
  noticed a broken Whippen, and if I had continue to look I'm sure I'd =
have
  found other things.

  After seeing the cracked bridges I asked the owner about its =
senitmental
  value - they indicated there was not much. I then sugeested that in my
  opinion the piano was not worth the money required to repair and make =
it
  playable, espcially with one child taking lessons at an institute. She
  seemed relieved to hear this and told me her husband was shocked that =
she
  wanted to spend anything to even tune it. She also said they had a =
keyboad
  that the kids would use till they found something else.

  I did not feel I should charge her anything but when pressed suggested =
$20.
  She indicated taht she thought this was not enough for my time and gas =
but I
  made the bill out for $20 anyway. When I got home I noticed she wrote =
the
  check out for $30!

  I plan to send her the a copy of , :How to buy a good used piano" as a
  "thankyou".

  I also mentioned that I'd be happy to check out any piano she might be
  inclined to buy in the future and hoped to be able to conitnue to =
provide
  tuning and repair business.

  Did I condemn a piano that might have been given a few more years?!

  Jeff Schlaybach - Robesonia, PA