ringing

Paul McCloud pmc303@ricochet.com
Thu, 30 Oct 2003 06:44:16 -0800

Ed:

            If you haven't found the solution yet, here's something I've
found on Baldwins regarding damper ringing.  Your sustain pedal should
be adjusted LOOSE.  Even if you think it has a little play, which
ordinarily should be ok, back off the adjustment at the pedal so the
pedal rod (dowel?) is very loose.  I've found that I had damper problems
on many Baldwins when I tightened the pedal trapwork, and had to loosen
it again to get rid of the ringing.  Just try backing off the adjustment
and see what happens.  Good luck!

            Paul McCloud

            San Diego

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Ed Carwithen
Sent: Wednesday, October 29, 2003 2:08 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: ringing

I need some input about a piano that has a serious damping (actually a
non-damping) problem.  Tones continue to ring after the key is released.
It is particularly bad on F#4 which rings at its own pitch, G#4 to a
lesser extent, and C#3, D3, and D#3 which rings at the double octave +
5th.  The piano is a Baldwin Acrosonic #386458.  The owner is a piano
teacher which makes the problem a bit more acute (It's driving her out
of her mind).

So far I have adjusted the pedals to be sure that they are damping well
and they seem to be.  I tried muting the non-speaking parts of all
strings, and blocked off all the bass strings in their speaking lengths,
as well as the treble strings above the dampers.  F#3 still singing like
a canary.  I even blocked the F#3 string itself, and it goes "Bonk" when
the hammer strikes but continues singing the tone the same as before.  I
moved the piano out from the wall and checked to make sure there was
nothing contacting the sound board.  I tapped the strings to the bridge
to be sure that there wasn't some risidual vibration being made there.
There is a bit of a false beat in the left string of F#3, but that
shouldn't cause the excess ringing.  G4 not ringing, F#4 and G#4 are.

There are a lot of knick-knacks in the room, and I wonder about
suspecting some vibration in that area.

If anyone has a suggestion as to what I might try in order to eliminate
this annoying problem I would be grateful for your input.

Ed Carwithen

Associate PTG

John Day, OR