Piano moving /lyre attached

Isaac sur Noos oleg-i@noos.fr
Thu, 30 Oct 2003 21:59:42 +0100

Leaving the lyre to use it as a pivot is the usual method, unless you
suspect the lyra is not strong enough (some older grands, and some more
recent ones also - Schimmel , some Bluthner if I recall correctly)

Lyra can stay on the piano with  other legs if there is only one move and
one piano, but it is harder to tie the piano in the truck then so this is
not very good advice.

Isaac OLEG

-----Message d'origine-----
De : pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]De la part
de PatchWick@aol.com
Envoye : jeudi 30 octobre 2003 20:05
A : pianotech@ptg.org
Objet : Re: Piano moving /lyre attached

In a message dated 10/30/2003 10:19:18 AM Eastern Standard Time,
peter-burns.pianotuner@tesco.net writes:

>Hi list,
>  I have always detached the pedal lyre when moving a grand piano.I had a
>friend help me deliver a small grand last week,that we had rebuilt,and he
>left the pedal lyre on.He says he always leaves it on when breaking the
>piano down,and puts it on again before the legs, when setting it back up.I
>am wondering how safe it is,as it is so much easier to move.
>Best,
>Hazen Bannister

I was working for Mayflower Van lines when I first started moving grands and
we always removed the lyre first. However, once in "the business" I learned
to do it the right way. Leave the Lyre on and use it as a pivot to lower the
corner onto the skid. Works neat and easy and in 30 years have never lost a
lyre. The store I work for (a former Baldwin dealer) lost only one lyre in
50 years and that was on a Baldwin Concertmaster. Bad construction. I found
out when I called Baldwin (Gibson) that there was a long back log of orders
for new lyres for those grands.

Anyway, I also always leave the lyre on until last so I have something solid
to hang on to if the piano starts to teeter a bit. Works great! Never a
problem (so far...)

Here's to keepin' em movin'!

will wickham