Pinblock Separation Repair & Pitch Change

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 30 Oct 2003 20:57:08 -0500

Good point John. Here in the Sunshine State I have seen quite a few =
termite-infested piano in my few short years in this business. I have =
also ripped apart a couple of them. It seems to be much like rotten wood =
on a boat - if you see a very little evidence of the affliction, safe to =
assume there is about 100 times more damage that you can't see.

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: John Ross=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2003 3:58 PM
  Subject: Re: Pinblock Separation Repair & Pitch Change

  Hi Richard,
  At 200 cents flat, I don't drop the pitch.
  I used to use 1/2" carriage bolts, but in a discussion on the list, =
that was considered overkill. So 3/8" will be good enough.
  We don't have a termite problem up here (Canada), but I think I would =
check out the piano further, for a termite problem.
  Someone had brought a piano up from the US, with a termite problem in =
the keys. They appeared to have just a little hole, but in fact had been =
hollowed out in places. Much more damage than indicated.
  Regards,
  John M. Ross
  Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
  jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca