short trebble

Barbara Richmond piano57@flash.net
Thu, 30 Oct 2003 20:38:38 -0600

St=E9phane,

Have you come to the conclusion that it's the bridge because you've =
already tried voicing to solve the problem?  Most likely you have. But =
if not, reducing the hammer weight *a bit* or trimming the sides of the =
hammer shank may help, and of course, needling appropriately. =20

Barbara Richmond, RPT
who makes no claim whatsoever to being a rebuilder
somewhere near Peoria, IL

----- Original Message -----=20
  From: St=E9phane Collin=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Thursday, October 30, 2003 6:52 PM
  Subject: short trebble

  Hi all !

  Marvellous Bechstein model E (2m75) from 1928.
  Fantastic action, but one problem : the trebble notes are VERY short =
(no sustain).  I know that trebble sustain is not the best thing in a =
Bechstein, but here it is obviously dramatic.  The piano has been =
restored 10 years ago, and the bridge apparently recapped.  The =
restorers have put varnish on the whole bridge.  Does anyone know if =
that varnish could be the cause of no sustain in trebble ?  I am =
considering to recap the bridge (though apart from the varnish, it looks =
kind of perfect), and would like to know your expert advice before =
attempting this.
  thanks

  St=E9phane Collin=20
  (Bruxelles, Belgium)
  "Time has no respect for what you do without it"