Make a soundboard--Measurements

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Fri, 31 Oct 2003 11:19:45 -0500

Erwinspiano@aol.com wrote:

>  HI John
>   Great picture. I haven't quite absorbed how your locating the ribs on
> the board yet but I have some ideas. With the board fit to the case are
> you then marking from underneath on the panel at the notches? or just
> taking the overall length of the ribs from existing original ribs. Fill
> me in I'm feeling a bit dense on this one.

Dale,
I thought we were talking about how to cut the ribs to length? Locating
the ribs on the board comes later.

>    The way I  usually proceed is to make my ribs, crown, radius the
> back, cut the cutouts & sand the cut outs & rib end thickness/width
>  till they fit the notches snugly in the case. I have the panel dried
> down out this point.
>     Then I lay out the panel as Ron N. described on the rim, mark, cut
> it then chalk & sand the board edges till I get it to fit snug, all the
> while being supported by the ribs, which I like.

If you cut the old board out with a router you can then use it as a
template to cut the panel to rough shape. My ribs are fitted after the
panel is fitted to the case. There is no need to have the ribs there to
support the panel. This whole layout process would be very difficult to
explain in words. Maybe some day I will take a few photos.
--
John Hartman RPT

John Hartman Pianos
Rebuilding Steinway and Mason & Hamlin