Junk Pianos - Sad Shopping Story

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 8 Apr 2004 06:03:53 -0400

Went to tune a piano a few months back for a new client. Two youngsters =
taking piano lessons. Old worn-out upright. Talked her into junking the =
piano and buying a newer one. Gave her some guidance for shopping. Told =
her I do pre-purchase piano inspections. I told her phone calls are =
free.

You know where this is going, don't you?

Got a call from her and the kid's piano teacher a few weeks ago. They =
were looking at a little console that was for sale by a local piano =
mover. They described it and I said what they described sounded OK, but =
that I would need to inspect it to offer a firm opinion. She calls a =
week or so ago, says she bought the piano, and we scheduled a tuning.

I went there yesterday. Kincade (Kimball) console. Open lid. Pinblock =
split away from all five vertical back posts. About a quarter-inch =
separation. Piano is 75 to 125 cents flat.

I recommended she try to get her money back. She said she signed an =
AS-IS purchase agreement. She paid $800 for this piece of $#@&!

I recommended against tuning it. I suggested there was a better-than =
even chance the tuning will not hold for long (hour? day? week? month?) =
and that there is also the chance that raising the pitch would =
accelerate the pinblock/frame migration, and even possibly put the =
integrity of the plate at risk. I ultimately said that I was not =
comfortable raising the pitch to A440.

Anyone want to offer an opinion on my recommendations? Just curious what =
YOU would have done.

I also told her that it could be repaired, etc.

Oh, and I also suggested that she call me next time for an inspection =
BEFORE she buys another piano.

Terry Farrell