Lacquer or what?

Fri, 23 Apr 2004 17:08:34 +0200

David Love wrote:

>The Steinway hammer of 30 years ago was a denser hammer to begin with (the
>ones with the grey reinforcing on the shoulders) and 1:8 would probably
>have been enough.  Steinway advocates a solution now of 1:3.  Check the
>archives as there was a lengthy discussion on this topic within the last
>year or so.
>
>David Love
>davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

Thats NY Steinway.  Hamburg advocates a completly different approach and
shuns laquer.  Some is used only on the very highest notes and
personally I even question the need for that.  You can often enough file
down to tone if you need to.

Brings up an interesting point tho.... we have an older  New York  B at
the school now... and I just about have the lady talked into letting me
put a set of Wurzens on it.  Give me a chance to test out something I've
wanted to do for a long time.... see how this << New York Steinways
sound best with laquered hammers>> theory I hear from time to time
really holds up.

Its fun comparing different styles in anycase... thats for sure.

Cheers
RicB