steinway of unknown vintage

Thomas Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Sat, 31 Jul 2004 17:11:53 -0700

Thanks to Michael who wrote privately how the numbers on the tail of the
plate could be translated into a manufacture date. I've long wondered
what those numbers meant. The letter corresponds to the year, starting
with A in 1911, continuing through the alphabet, ending up with Z in
1936. They started over with A and discontinued sometime around WWII.
This one has 1/14 R on the plate, so that would translate: January 14,
1928, if I've got it right.

Keith, Mark, Tom D: lyre sticks have that same D 5659, as does the
keyslip, keyframe, fallboard, lyre guide rail, etc., which I guess has
some meaning to the factory people. So I did a lot of looking, following
Yogi Berra's advice, but didn't observe (the serial #). I'm hoping for
maybe a handwritten number on some obscure place on the action or keys.
If I see something close to 260,000 I'll holler Bingo!

As for the smell, I guess it helps that the owner never complained of
the smell, only the dozen broken strings, ostensibly broken by the
heavy-playing neighbor. At first, she refused to believe that her
prescious pets were turning her piano into a place of worship (Let us
spray). So if she's okay with the feline fragrance, my job may be
limited to restringing/block/refinish soundboard (no cracks in board or
bridges) since the action still works. Just smells bad.

Tom Cole