a violonist trained ear (was tuning for violonist)]

hubert liverman hubertliverman@bellsouth.net
Mon, 2 Aug 2004 15:44:29 -0500

  I was trained as a bass trombonist.I attended Auburn =
University,Manhattan School of Music and Columbia University. I have =
played everything from Symphony to Cercus. That is the lot of a free =
lance musician.Trombonists need to play 'pure' 3rds,4ths =
5ths,unisons,and octaves. Then we adjust it on the fly, dependant on the =
key, type of ensemble, era, and style of music being performed. The =
Beethoven Three Equali is an example. Things get tougher, as in Bhrams =
1'st Symphony (in C major) when we sit around for 35 minutes or so and =
come in pianissimo on a chorale in A major. It is difficult for the 2nd =
trombone to play the 3rd of the chord in tune on that very exposed =
entrance. When you add a piano to the mix, as in a piano Concerto, the =
strech factor comes into play and we must learn to adjust. Especially =
the lower parts, we have to think low to what we hear natrually (?). I =
have known many excellent musicians of all ilk who stumble over the =
"comma", and confuse themselves. Jazz and commercial musicians are more =
forgiving than some of the classical types in regards to Piano verses =
the rest of the "Band".  This discussion has been going on for 2500 some =
odd years and will continue forever.

  Hubert Liverman
  Opelika, AL

  Interesting enough, slide trombone players tend to like and favor pure =
thirds when performing in trombone ensembles. Beethoven's trombone trio, =
one of his first compositions, performed at his funeral, gives a very =
nice exemple of this. It requires something like "just intonation", pure =
thirds and pure fifths, so that the players have to adapt and correct =
their pitch constantly, depending on the harmonic function of the =
interval they play. When performed by great trombone players, it sounds =
magnificent.  Anybody ever got complaints about the beating major 3rds =
on a trombone player's piano ?  :-)=20

  Of course this is my experience as a music-loving amateur, and =
deductions I make from my not-very-exhaustive knowledge of those =
instruments and the temperament theory. Any thoughts ?  =20

  Jean Debefve,
  Belgium =20