no down-bearing revisited

Sun, 01 Feb 2004 10:09:00 -0500

Michael,
You don't need a flame suit, yet, but list protocol, as I perceive it,
would have you ask yourself at least two questions  ......first, whether
you are significantly redirecting or diluting the focus of a particular
thread (group of posts under the same title), and second, make an attempt
to read and understand the previous postings, both in the particular thread
and, to some extent, in the archives, though I admit, the archives can be
daunting.  As the perpetrator of this current mini-thread, and as one who
struggles, at times  to articulate ideas clearly, I feel a bit of that
Mother Bear & Cubs instinct.  I'm trying to have some specific questions
addressed.   I suspect and fear that consideration of downbearing in
harpsichords, while related, will digress into a harpsichord
discussion.  If you wish to pursue that idea, give it a different title.
With regard to your question as to whether NO downbearing would make a
difference, you should note that, apart from any other point I was
attempting to make, John Hartman discussed downbearing's function in
enhancing the impedance of the soundboard which resists the premature
depletion of vibrational energy of the string.  The difference between NO
downbearing and NEGATIVE  downbearing on a piano is conceptual and a
function of bridge pins.  Without bridge pins, there is no such thing as
negative downbearing. In that case, downbearing would move from positive to
NONE with the exception of that "event horizon"- like envelope where the
downbearing force was so minimal as to allow the string to buzz against the
bridge surface when energized.  After that, there would be virtual
silence.  Bridge pin induced NEGATIVE downbearing is, of course, actually
POSITIVE UP-PULLING!!. The vibrational energy from the string is conveyed
to bridge and board by the bridge pins, but the forces at the string /
bridge interface are different.  There is, I suspect, no impedance-inducing
stiffening of the board taking place, and the tendency of the string to
move up the pin towards a neutral position would be constant and
de-stabilizing.  To be sure, if there is, as I suspect, a salutary function
of what the Wapin Bridge patent refers to as the "bearing point edge", that
function too would be compromised in a POSITIVE UP-PULLING
configuration.   Any of that clear?

David Skolnik RPT