Soundboard stiffening (was Re: No downbearing)

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Sun, 01 Feb 2004 21:59:28 -0500

Phillip Ford wrote:

>      I keep reading posts by various people stating that the soundboard
> gets 'stiffer' as downbearing is applied.  But I have seen no
> experimental evidence to support this supposition.

Well I agree the soundboard does not get stiffer in its self. That's why
I have using the phrase "apparent stiffness". When we pull the tension
up on a string the wire becomes more resistant to deflection as if it
were stiffer. But the steel in the wire is no more stiff than before.
What is happening is that the wire when in tension can readily transfer
any further loads to the plate and this greater structure makes the wire
resist deflection. When the soundboard is pressed down by the down
bearing it is no more stiff than before but it is now connected to a
portion of the tension of the string plane and because it has crown it
presses outward and receives further support from the case. When the
vibrating strings meet the bride the impedance it reacts to is that of
the soundboard, a portion of the string tension in the string plane and
some of the mass and stiffness of the rim. Think of it this way: the
bridge is sandwiched between two springs, on top is the down bearing and
on the bottom is the crowned soundboard.

John Hartman RPT

John Hartman Pianos
Rebuilding Steinway and Mason & Hamlin
Grand Pianos Since 1979