Soundboard stiffening

Mon, 02 Feb 2004 11:27:45 -0500

David-
My instinct was in accord with yours, but then I looked at some of my
Neuses gram resistance gauges, and, what do you know? The graduations are
all equally spaced!!  So SOME springs, at least, work as Phil describes.  I
don't know if different materials or configurations might have different,
perhaps even non-linear, characteristics. Chances are, both the spring and
the arch are inadequate models to represent the dynamics of a soundboard.

David Skolnik