No Downbearing revisited

antares antares@euronet.nl
Mon, 2 Feb 2004 19:50:48 +0100

On 2-feb-04, at 3:17, Joseph Garrett wrote:

> I'd like to throw my two cents worth into the fray. I believe that
> downbearing is not essential for the production of sound. However, I
> further
> believe that it helps the production of volume. It's my theory that if
> the
> board possesses "latent" energy, (ie crown and downbearing working
> together), then that "latent energy" will respond to the stimulus of
> the
> vibrating string more readily, with more "output".
> Best Regards,
> Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)

OK,
In our work shop we have this tuning fork mounted on a mini soundboard.
If you just strike the tuning fork with 'something' you will hear it
vibrate, but actually not very much.

If however you put the mini sound board under pressure by bending it
with your muscle power, the tone increases and becomes noticeably
louder.
In other words : if you apply pressure on the soundboard by bending it,
the tuning fork vibrations get louder.

Why?

friendly greetings
from