an analysis of downbearing, etc.

Lesher, Trent J. tlesher@sachnoff.com
Mon, 2 Feb 2004 14:58:34 -0600

Thank you for this posting.  This thread was confusing me, and this kind of helps me get my thoughts organized to start trying to understand what people are talking about.

Can you elaborate on the following statement?  "From an efficiency standpoint, we do not want energy from the air to be reflected back into the sounding board.  From an artist/craftsman standpoint, we do want this to happen, because that's part of what gives the piano its tone."

Also maybe you can help clarify how to figure out the questions in the last several days about dipole effects and leaks in soundboards (I listed the posts below).  Even though I worked in loudspeaker design for several years, I'm not an engineer, in fact like many I have little formal science training, so this kind of input can really help keep my 'self-education' on track.

Trent Lesher

Soundboard "short circuit" questions posts:

Isolated Air Movement, was: Rib Thinning
Farrell 1/29/04 8:52 a.m.

Re: Isolated Air Movement, was: Rib Thinning
Overs 1/29/04 3:37 p.m.

Dipole Effects and Leaks in Soundboard; was Isolated Air-Movement
Lesher 1/31/04 6:35 p.m.

Re: Dipole Effects and Leaks in Soundboard; was Isolated Air-Movement
Erwin 1/31/04, 10:29 p.m.

RE: SB Leaks & Dipole Effects -- Was Isolated Air-Movement
Lesher 2/2/04 12:27 p.m.

RE: Isolated Air Movement, was: Rib Thinning
Lesher 2/2/04 2:00 p.m.

EVEN MORE IMPORTANT NOTICE:  Never mind the message below.  It's intended for law-client-related communications, and the computer people at the law firm where I work seem to have made it impossible to keep it from being added to one's e-mails, otherwise I would turn it off and it would not appear below.  For purposes of this message it may be considered as meaningless, random clutter.  Piano tuners, technicians, rebuilders, makers, designers, scientists, craftsmen, artisans, musicians, engineers, enthusiasts and friends need not trouble themselves.  Despite what the notice says, you are hereby notified of nothing (except that you are hereby notified of nothing).

****** IMPORTANT NOTICE ******
This e-mail, and any attachments hereto, is intended only for use by the
confidential information.  If you are not the intended recipient of this
e-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or
copying of this e-mail, and any attachments hereto, is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify me
at (312) 207-1000 and permanently delete the original and any copy of any
e-mail and any printout thereof.