Correspondence tuning courses

Richard Strang rstrang@pa.inter.net
Mon, 2 Feb 2004 20:57:12 -0500

Hello, Barry,
   I took the Randy Potter course back in '95. It took a year to complete,
and I worked on it every evening. I passed all the tests and got my diploma.
I can recommend the course highly. However, I don't think Randy's course, or
any other  course is enough without some kind of one on one teaching. I
never really grasped the art of listening to anything other than the
fundamental frequency while tuning, until I went to a tuning seminar that
Randy put on in Minnesota. I came away from that seminar with all the
knowledge I needed to start excelling as a piano tuner. The teachers were
all very dedicated to the piano business people. I don't think I would have
gotten over the hump without them. Just my two cents.

Richard Strang
  -----Original Message-----
  From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of Barry
  Sent: Monday, February 02, 2004 4:43 PM
  To: Piano List
  Subject: Correspondence tuning courses

  Hi everyone..

  I would like to get some reaction from you regarding the correspondence
courses available.. eg: Randy Potter and the American School of Tuning etc.

  There are no "hands on" courses available in Australia anymore except
occasional apprenticeships.

  Has anyone successfully passed one of these correspondence courses and
would you recommend them?

  Thanks
  Barry