Soundboard stiffening

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Tue, 03 Feb 2004 11:15:24 -0600

>Please tell us all how a panel with a convex upper
>surface can not spread out at the bottom when pressure
>is applied from above, Ron.
>      Doesn't make any sense to me at all.
>      Thump

Thump, and everyone else who cheerfully embraced the latest declaration
that soundboard crown is a buttressed arch,

Phil Ford and I discussed this in detail on list not too long ago.
Describing it again most likely won't have better effect than it did the
last time, so that leaves trying it for yourself. Make a three ribs about
18" (460mm) long, one flat and two with a crown machined in. Make them
about 20mm (3/4") square and feather them like you would for a real piano.
Cut some panel material about 5" (120mm) wide (parallel to the grain), and
somewhat longer than the ribs. Dry one down to 4%-4.5% humidity and glue it
to the flat rib. This is the compression crowned example. Dry the other to
about 6% and glue it to the crowned rib for the rib crowned example. After
the panels are trimmed square to the rib ends and have reached moisture
equilibrium with the shop, you should have nice crowns in both models. Set
up a stiff plank for a base, with blocks of wood (sides cut and squared)
clamped to it so one of the models will slip between the blocks with zero
clearance at the ends. Set a spacer under each end of the rib so that the
bottom of the rib is clear of the plank by at least the amount of crown in
the model. Now place a straight block of wood nearly the length of the rib
on top of the panel, and start applying down pressure on it with another
clamp, depressing the crown of the model. The block of wood on top is so
you won't press the crown below flat. Watch the ends of the panel as the
crown is depressed. They WILL pull away from the end blocks. Now do it with
the other model. Same thing. Now do it with just the crowned rib. Same
thing. This is exactly backward of the  way an arch would work. Soundboard
crown is NOT, nor has it ever been an arch because the end supports are not
below the centroid line of the assembly. They are significantly above it,
as in a cable suspension, and no, I'm not saying the cable suspension
retains crown if you keep the rim edges from converging. Crown is still
formed and maintained by the rib and panel. The rim has nearly nothing to
do with either formation, or retention of crown.

Ron N