Laminated Soundboard Panels

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 3 Feb 2004 19:07:46 -0500

Laminated soundboard panels got a bad reputation from cheap, poorly =
designed and manufactured spinets, et. al. of the 1950s, 1960s, etc. =
I've got a couple questions about these.

Was there anything wrong with the panels in these pianos, or was is only =
that the rest of the piano was terrible, so the panel earned the same =
reputation as the rest of the piano, or was the panel itself poorly =
designed and/or made. I know some of them had mahogany as the outer =
laminate - I don't know how thick that laminate was - perhaps there were =
panel density problems. Was the rest of the panel made out of Sitka or =
similar spruce?

I'm just trying to understand if a quarter-sawn laminated Sitka Spruce =
panel made today is incorporated into a well-designed and built piano, I =
presume it will perform as well as a solid spruce panel (maybe better =
when you consider tuning stability and longevity).

Also, why, in those cheap little spinets of yesteryear, did they use =
laminated panels on the soundboard? Isn't it more expensive to go =
through all the work of laminating up a panel compared to a solid panel? =
Maybe it is because they used old wood from industrial warehouse pallets =
in the panels?

Terry Farrell