Lid construction

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 3 Feb 2004 21:50:30 -0500

FWIW, I've easily spent a day or two getting jerked around by several
woodworkers who said they could build a piano lid, and after they look at
the piano, I never hear from them again. So sometimes doing it yourself is
as fast or faster.

Terry Farrell

----- Original Message -----
From: "Phillip Ford" <fordpiano@earthlink.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Tuesday, February 03, 2004 9:29 PM
Subject: Lid construction

>      I've made lids for a few pianos.  I thought I was being pretty
ambitious just making a lid at all.  But, wow, joining up your own core and
hammer veneering on the face sheets.  You guys leave me in the dust.
>      Have you guys ever heard of marine plywood?  It comes in 5' x 10'
sheets.  A variety of face sheets and core stocks.  Many types of mahogany
and select hardwood, many of which are probably as light as poplar.
>      Another option.  The last time I made a lid I went to a serious
cabinetmaking operation (a couple orders of magnitude more serious than my
shop) that did architectural millwork.  They took some sort of lumber core
plywood (something like baltic birch) and bonded on face sheets of my
choice.  They put it in a giant heated press and used heat setting glue to
bond on the face sheets.  5 minutes later I had a piece of custom lumber
core plywood with perfectly wrinkle free hardwood faces.  I don't remember
how much it cost.  I'm sure it wasn't cheap, but it was a lot cheaper than a
day or two of my time.