Soundboard stiffening

Delwin D Fandrich fandrich@pianobuilders.com
Wed, 4 Feb 2004 12:57:26 -0800

Now, wait a minute here. Who said "the ribs are doing nothing but trying to
straighten out the panel."? With or without crown, and regardless of how
crown is obtained, the ribs are going to add stiffness to the assembly. That
does not preclude their resisting being bent in the compression-crowned
soundboard assembly.

No one talks about "the panel trying to straighten out the ribs" because it
doesn't work that way. Have you ever handled an edge-glued spruce panel?
Sure you have. Just how much straightening is that thing going to do?

> I would suggest that the ribs are not bent simply because the panel is
> taking on moisture... but because they are made to  resist any panel
> expansion at the interface between ribs and panel.  It seems only half a
> truth and one that easily leads to less then half truths to simply say
> the ribs are bent by the panel, and do nothing more then resist crown.

I think you're getting the idea. In the compression-crowned soundboard
assembly, the ribs are indeed bent because of the stress interface between
them -- they really don't like to stretch along their grain -- and the
expanding soundboard panel. (At least the panel would be expanding if it
were not constrained by the ribs glued to it.) And the panel is expanding
because it is taking on moisture. That is how a compression-crowned
soundboard assembly works.

Again, who said the ribs do "nothing more than resist crown?"

> No doubt the bend in both panel and rib seen as isolated component
> forces will exert a force that works against crown. Funny how tho the
> net effect is plenty of crown and plenty strength.

Yes, it is, isn't it? Until, of course, either the glue joint fails or
compression set within the panel reduces the stress interface between the
panel and the ribs to the point the system is no longer able to support
crown.

> Also.... this thread has hinted at a difference between the CC panel and
> RC panel yet to be brought to light... one that has quite probably
> significant performance ramifications.  This matter of increased
> stiffness when downbearing is applied to the one, vs constant stiffness
> for the other.

It remains to be seen whether the effect holds true for both types. Until I
actually try it I'll hold my further comment. It also remains to be seen
just how much affect this characteristic may or may not have on the two
different types of soundboard configurations.

Del