ga-1 / ways to improve scale

Wed, 4 Feb 2004 21:37:14 -0000

Hello Trent L and List
You said: " I started to wonder about using softer steel or iron wires, such
as the ones offered for the restoration of pianos that originally did not
use modern steel music wire.  Since then, I have heard of at least one
"historic wire" manufacturer recommending exactly that -- mixing modern and
historic wire types in a modern piano to achieve better tone in the lowest
plain strings and a better break."
So.... we go backwards! The modern steel strings were so designed in order
to increase the power output of the piano. Start putting in low tensile iron
strings in a piano and there will be a remarkable down-turn in power. So we
go backwards. Has anyone tried using thorn needles on their CDs yet? ;-)
Regards
Michael G (UK)