Sigh!!!!

Dave Nereson davner@kaosol.net
Wed, 4 Feb 2004 17:52:10 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "antares" <antares@euronet.nl>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Monday, February 02, 2004 2:21 PM
Subject: Re: Sigh!!!!

> thanks.
>

> On 2-feb-04, at 22:07, Joseph Garrett wrote:
>
> > Andre' Oorebeek said/asked: "OK,
> > In our work shop we have this tuning fork mounted on a mini soundboard.
> > If you just strike the tuning fork with 'something' you will hear it
> > vibrate, but actually not very much.
> >
> > If however you put the mini sound board under pressure by bending it
> > with your muscle power, the tone increases and becomes noticeably
> > louder.
> > In other words : if you apply pressure on the soundboard by bending it,
> > the tuning fork vibrations get louder.
> >
> > Why?

    Yamaha dealers had these devices also, to supposedly prove that crown
improves sustain, and it did, on those devices.  Why, I don't know.  I guess
without the mini soundboard under tension, the sound waves could just
dissipate out the loose ends, whereas under tension they were forced to
recycle, possibly energizing the tuning fork again by feedback.  --David
Nereson, RPT