Laminated Soundboard Panels

Paul Chick (Earthlink) tune4@earthlink.net
Wed, 4 Feb 2004 20:39:58 -0600

Subject: Re: Laminated Soundboard Panels

FWIW, has anyone else, besides myself, noticed that these little "cheapy"
pianers w/plywood soundboards, stay very well in tune?!! Because of this
factor, I think that laminated soundboards deserve some serious R&D. I
believe a laminated board can be made to give good acoustic results, if done
properly. If I'm not mistaken, I've heard Del make similar comments. Just my
two pesos worth.
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)

Didn't Kimball do some R&D on laminated boards?  There's hundreds of them in
this area, many do not handle the wide temp/humidity swings and go out of
tune faster than "better" laminated boards or solid spruce boards. (Opinions
herein based on field observations, no scientific data.)

Paul C