Piano Shop

Rob Goodale rrg@unlv.nevada.edu
Wed, 4 Feb 2004 19:17:27 -0800

At last, at last!

Announcing the completion of our new rebuilding shop, soon to be known =
as "Southwest Piano Technologies".  Catchy huh?  For whatever unknown =
reason the public seems to be turned on to catchy and meaningless =
marketing phrases like "High-Tech", "Technologically Advanced", and =
"State of the Art".  We figured "Piano Technologies" had a nice ring to =
it.

We turned the power on last week and to our delight all 36 light =
fixtures, 8 ceiling fans, and 46 outlets worked perfectly.  I poured =
concrete door steps last week and have now begun the un-fun task of =
clean up which so far has amounted to several massive piles of concrete =
and stucco chunks, scrap lumber, empty paint buckets, various types of =
twisted metal components, and lots of general garbage, (no nuclear =
materials).  The only remaining task will be reinstalling two doors =
which were removed for painting and finishing up the insulation on the =
roll-up door.  Then at last we will be calling the county inspector for =
our final sign-off.

The entire structure is a thing of beauty.  It is situated about two =
thirds back on our 3/4 acre, 60 feet beyond the house.  It is built from =
the ground up to perfectly match the house.  Total size is 2,000 Sq.Ft., =
(we may expand later),  and includes a small office and a "clean room" =
for action rebuilding.  A small bathroom will be added sometime within =
the next few months, the plumbing has already been installed for that.  =
Forced air conditioning and heating will also be installed within the =
next couple months.  The county considers the building a "dwelling =
structure" if the innitial plans include HVAC and plumbing which greatly =
complicates things so these items are being added after completion.  The =
building has a 10' ceiling with 8 skylights in the main shop for maximum =
natural light and reduced need for electrical lighting.  The interior is =
finished off with textured and painted walls.   Of course the absolute =
most important feature is that I have pre-wired RU-6 underground cable =
to the house for connection to our satellite dish.  A special shelf is =
built into a wall for a new 27" TV.  After all Everyone knows you really =
can't have an absolute complete shop without 160 channels of =
subscription television!

We are sparing no expense with machinery.  Most has already been =
purchased and stuffed into our garage waiting to be moved in.  These =
include a vertical air compressor, (plumbed throughout the shop), a full =
sized cabinet saw, a stationary planer, a 5' jointer, drill press, a =
large stationary disk/belt sander,  a buffer, grinder, compound miter =
saw, and an absolutely huge commercial band-saw, (this baby can =
accommodates a 2" blade and could probably rip utility poles =
lengthwise).  All will be connected to a central dust collection system. =
 The dust collection unit and the air compressor will be installed in a =
special shed outside the shop.  The final task will be building work =
benches, a large table, and shelving.  I intend to fabricate these out =
of steel with solid tops.  We will also have the only sound board press =
in the state of Nevada.

Okay, sorry if I sound like I'm gloating a bit but at this point I can't =
help it.  This has been a two year project and the only sub-contracted =
work was the concrete slab and the stucco.  I'm feeling slightly punch =
drunk from the endless labor.  I'm not sure what was worse, installing =
fiberglass insulation in the July heat, sanding endless drywall joints, =
or digging most of a 108' x 24" utility trench by hand, (the back-hoe =
couldn't reach beyond the house and it's too rocky for a walk-behind =
digger).   Although the HVAC and bathroom won't be complete for a few =
more months we intend to move in as soon as the work benches are =
competed.  We figure we can keep the temporary mess from those projects =
mostly localized.  Sometime in the near future I will post some =
pictures.  More details coming soon!

I think I hear the Budweiser Clydesdales coming!
"Da dee da dee da dee da dee dum dum dum, HERE COMES THE BUD ...da dee =
da dee da dee da dee dum dum dum...."

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV