Laminated Soundboard Panels

Paul Chick (Earthlink) tune4@earthlink.net
Wed, 4 Feb 2004 22:58:31 -0600

--
Subject: RE: Laminated Soundboard Panels

Paul. Is it the laminated boards that make these
pianos unstable, or the structure of the backs; flimsy
plates and 1 x3's?
     Thump

Kimball boasted their plates were 35 pounds heavier than the competition;
solid oak back frame with some sophisticated interlocking joint.  The
soundboards were warranted for 75 years not to crack or delaminate (I'm
waiting). But, you could hear the Kimballs go out of tune as the floor was
rearranged, and you could "tune" them again by changing the shims under the
back casters.  Maybe it's best I stop here and keep those marketing and
repair secrets from a bygone era.
Paul C