sounding boards and wood construction

Mark Kinsler kinsler33@hotmail.com
Thu, 05 Feb 2004 14:21:38 -0500

There are parallels between the construction of a sounding board and that of
wooden aircraft.  My guess is that more was learned about the structural
properties of wood in fifty years of wood airplane construction than was
learned in the previous 500 years of musical instrument work.

We're dealing here with 'stressed skin' construction, in which a piece of
strong plywood--or perhaps a spruce sounding board--is glued to underlying
ribs such that it forms itself into a curve.  This makes a good airplane
wing as long as the glue remains reliable.  The strength lies in the
curvature of the wing, much as a mailing tube is much stronger and stiffer
than an equivalent sheet of cardboard.  There may also a certain amount of
pre-load placed on aircraft structural components.

I believe that this is what some posters are thinking of in their analyses
of sound board structure and behavior.  It may well be a good model for
certain configurations.

I understand that there are both stressed sounding boards and carved
sounding boards.  I don't believe that these would behave differently under
downbearing stress.

What was the original question that started this thread?  I apparently
entered at some sort of a peak in the discussion, so the issues aren't
altogether clear to me.

Mark Kinsler
512 E Mulberry St. Lancaster, Ohio USA 43130 740-687-6368
http://home.earthlink.net/~mkinsler1

Check out the new MSN 9 Dial-up — fast & reliable Internet access with prime