Rebuilding old uprights

Thu, 5 Feb 2004 23:17:21 -0000

Hello List et al
In my book "rebuilding" means TOTALLY dismantling the action to its
constituent parts. Only then can the stiffness of centres be appreciated. In
a 1917 upright I doubt very much that the damper felts are in acceptable
state. For nearly 90 years they have been compressed against the strings =
replace felts. Also not only would I replace the "tapes" (bridles) but also
the damper springs, jack springs, butt leathers and damper tail
leathers/cloths. Test that the set-off screws turned easily. All burnished
wood surfaces to be re-burnished as well as the damper spoons and damper
lift rod. Replace or repair any broken action parts. When you re-assemble
the action the screws will automatically be tightened.. :-)
Would anyone on the list like to comment on the effect of ageing on hammer
felt?
Regards from a black Sussex  Night. (no stars)
Michael G (UK)