Screw Drive Types

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Fri, 6 Feb 2004 12:51:06 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

>I have a very hard time believing these statistics.  Are you sure you read
>them correctly?

I sent scans of the articles to be posted, so you can see for yourself
later.  The testing was on pan head screws (such as you might see in a
piano action) - not on heavy duty machine screws, so your mileage may
vary.  Also, as I understand it, they used a uniform end load on each
fastener and what determined max torque was drive failure, which I took to
mean cam-out, but I suppose could mean rounding off the drive.  So cam-out
on an internal hex of the type used on ordinary pan head screws must not be that high
or the material strength is such that they round out.  They didn't specify what grade
fasteners they were using.

>   You can tighten a socket (Allen) head screw so tight you'll
>either break off the screw head or twist the wrench into a pretzle.

Interesting.  Just a couple of days ago I was tightening the allen head set
screws which hold the needles on my super-duper Yamaha voicing tool and
managed to round out one of the internal hex so that I can't get the screw
out - long before I bent the wrench into a pretzel.  Perhaps this only
applies on allen head screws large enough for holding bridges together or on
high strength socket head screws, like Unbrako or some such.

Phil Ford