Screw Drive Types

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Fri, 6 Feb 2004 14:54:44 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

> > I sent scans of the articles to be posted, so you can see for yourself
> > later.  The testing was on pan head screws...
>
>Now I'm really confused.  As far as I know, there is no such thing as a
>pan-head screw with a hex socket...at least in the United States.

>Don A. Gilmore
>Mechanical Engineer
>Kansas City

I don't know.  I'm not a fastener authority.  The caption of the graph
indicated that pan heads having these various drives were used.  You'll
have to wait for the article to be posted to check it out.  In the
meantime, here's a sight with similar data, comparing pan-heads with these
various drives:

http://www.textronfasteningsystems.com/products/torxplus/drive_compare.htm#compare

Go to the link called torsional strength test.  These numbers don't show as
much differential in capacity between the TORX, the hex, and the Phillips
as the above article.  But they show that the internal hex will round out
at only slightly higher torque than the Phillips will cam out and that the
TORX will develop more torque than either one.  Admittedly, these numbers
are being provided by the manufacturer of TORX, so caveat emptor.

Phil Ford