Square piano

Sat, 7 Feb 2004 21:26:48 -0000

Hello List and Arthur Marino
Thanks for your comment. The swimming lesson went swimmingly, the violin =
lesson went extremely well and as a result we went to Brighton and did =
some shopping in the major complex there called "Churchill Square" Maxim =
has just left his Primary school in order to go "privately" whre his =
talents will, we hope, be noticed and built upon. Difficult to say when =
he's only 6yrs old, but smaller class of 7 (seven) should give a better =
Teacher:Pupil ratio than 26:1. We have High Hopes! We needed a "bespoke" =
uniform as dictated by his "new" school. (Founded in 1512 - so older =
than the square piano!)
Yes, that string repair on the Astor & Horwood was remarkably neat. I =
treat each of the two ends to be knotted in the same way by making them =
resemble a long-tailed "Omega" . Then I bend the rounded end to about 45 =
deg. before marrying the two into the well-known configuration of a =
"Reef Knot". Mostly I do this for broken Bass covered strings in order =
to preserve the integrity of the sound. I have even stripped back the =
copper covering to give more available core without compromising the =
tonal quality of a matched pair! Amazing what you can get away with when =
you try!
TTFN & Regards from a Moon-lit Sussex Downlands village....
Michael G (UK)