Japanese cross-head screws

Mark Kinsler kinsler33@hotmail.com
Sun, 08 Feb 2004 23:04:03 -0500

If there's a dot stamped into the head of your oriental cross-head screw you
have an ISO-standard screw there.  The depth of the screwdriver recess is
less than that of US Phillips screws.  Thus a US screwdriver won't go deep
enough to engage the wings properly, and the screwhead will strip out
easily.

My first remedy for this was to grind a bit off the tip of my #1 Phillips
screwdriver.  This worked quite well, and I used it for quite a while until
I discovered that a #2 Phillips driver works very well in what looks like a
#1 ISO screw head, and these are the most common.

You can also buy official ISO screwdrivers.  These screws are universally
used in electronics work, so you might see if MCM Electronics, a mail-order
outfit near Dayton, OH, or some other electronics supply house, still sells
the screwdrivers for them.  As far as I know, no US tool maker makes ISO
screwdrivers, heaven only knows why.  And screwdrivers made in Asia but sold
in the US are made to fit US Phillips screws.

Once I started to use a proper screwdriver I had little difficulty with most
ISO screws through many years of repairing cheap home audio equipment.  The
steel in Asian screws is as good as any, it turns out.  The only problems I
ran into were brass screws (eek!) and steel screws that had been glued in or
screwed in too tightly.

Sheetrock screws use a standard Phillips driver.  The only difficulty with
these is that they're quite brittle.  This means that they can break and
then can't be drilled out because of their hardness, which makes for
unpleasantness.  Note that it's not all that hard to break them with a
hand-powered screwdriver as well as a power screwdriver.

Mark Kinsler