Sizing damper guide rail bushings

Mark Dierauf mark@nhpianos.com
Mon, 9 Feb 2004 07:30:07 -0500

Someone (from S&S, I think) once told me that when the guide-rail holes
are countersunk on both sides of the rail that gluing is unnecessary.
Made sense to me, as the flaring of the cloth effectively constrains it
in the hole.

- Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of David Love
Sent: Sunday, February 08, 2004 10:29 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: RE: FW: Sizing damper guide rail bushings

I don't glue the bushing in if the fit is good.  If I'm in doubt, a
small
smear of hide glue on the underside at the joint (my bushings usually
extend below the bottom of the guide rail by a few mm's).  I size the
bushings using a #7 bridge pin inserted through the bushing followed by
wetting with 70/30 alcohol (bathroom variety).  Let dry overnight.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net