FW: Sizing damper guide rail bushings

Paul Chick (Earthlink) tune4@earthlink.net
Mon, 9 Feb 2004 09:11:14 -0600

Subject: RE: FW: Sizing damper guide rail bushings

I don't glue the bushing in if the fit is good.  If I'm in doubt, a small
smear of hide glue on the underside at the joint (my bushings usually
extend below the bottom of the guide rail by a few mm's).  I size the
bushings using a #7 bridge pin inserted through the bushing followed by a
wetting with 70/30 alcohol (bathroom variety).  Let dry overnight.

David Love

I used this technique then switched to spraying a coat of shellac on the
rails aiming it in the holes-the Bull's Eye Shellac in the spray can. Let
dry for an hour, insert bushing cloth, insert #7 bridge pins, apply alcohol
to bushing cloth, let dry overnight or blow dry with a hair dryer.  The
alcohol softens the shellac and it acts as glue to hold the bushing cloth in
place as well as sizing the bushings.  A drop of alcohol makes it easy to
remove the cloth if/when necessary.

Paul C