veritune

Andrew & Rebeca Anderson anrebe@zianet.com
Mon, 09 Feb 2004 07:57:15 -0700

Hi Barry,
I use that early stone-age ETD known as the Peterson 490ST.  A word to the
wise.  The Peterson is an analog strobe that has no idea what stretch
profile actually fits the piano in front of you.  If you don't grasp
stretching, the Peterson won't help.  It will help with measuring,
consistency and laying a temperament on a piano big enough that you don't
actually have to stretch the temperament octave.  I set A4 in tune and then
aurally stretch the octaves in each direction and then compare them to the
tables in the machine (and take notes for next time).  Usually nothing is a
perfect fit and I end up augmenting/de-augmenting the table manually as I go.
You're not supposed to have to do this with the VT100.  It is supposed to
measure the partials as well as the fundamental and then place the note in
its correct place in the scale.  Apparently very well as reported by at
least one individual I've corresponded with.  Now if I could just afford it...

A question for verituner owners, does it have a note partial display as
well, a la Tunelab?  That could be useful in voicing.

Andrew Anderson
Las Cruces, NM

Does