longitudinal waves

Isaac sur Noos oleg-i@noos.fr
Tue, 10 Feb 2004 14:46:03 +0100

------=_NextPart_001_006E_01C3EFE4.9BCA3C50
Whow, that's nice !

I hear a high F tone in the original sample.around the 7th partial (?)  Is
it longitudinal wave,? I see it like the forth light line from the bottom
but hear it an octave above.

The fundamental and lower partials seem to have a lot of similitude to my
ear. However, the computed sample seem a lot more harmonic than the real
piano (I even hear a minor sixth beat beginning in the recorded sample,
while all those may well be phantom tones and beat also)

I am unsure on how to read the spectra, it is not an harmonic scale I guess,
or we have up to 40 partials.
Can you add lines to show the partial ladder scale ? I remember that is a
possibility in the software.

Anyway the software seem to work very well when it comes to solicitation, I
made some samples for a 1830 Graf, using different stiffness wire, and
noticed that in fact the soft wire gives more sound  level because when used
it is in the 60% range for the same tension.

The same is supposed to occur if one use softer wire at the break, the tone
is not supposed to be less strong, on the contrary, a better damping of the
string gives more life and power to the tone - too low solicitation gives a
weak string that die earlier because of internal damping of the metal.

Best regards, other comments are welcome .

Isaac OLEG