Imadegawa hammers

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Wed, 11 Feb 2004 00:53:18 +1100

><I personally am not a fan of the Imdegawa hammers
>Phil Bondi (FL)>

Hi Phil and all,

There are two styles of Imadegawa hammers. The el-cheapo version has
Hornbeam cores and while they are well made they are awful hammers.
The Hornbeam seems to result in a hammer which has far too much core
hardness, and they are not only nasty bright sounding things when
first installed, but they seem to almost totally resistant to voicing.

The other style of their hammers has a Walnut core wood, and these
are truly very nice hammers to work with. They are very close to a
balanced tone right out of the box. Typically, they tend to have a
fairly small thickness of felt between the apex of the core wood and
the striking point, which does result in a shorter service life than
other hammers with more felt between the moulding and the striking
point. The highest note hammer, C88, typically has only 3 mm of felt
thickness, whereas a more conventionally dimensioned hammer like an
Abel will have over 4 mm.

I used Imadegawa for many years before changing over to Abel in 1996.
But I never used the hornbeam stuff. By the way folks, the mp3
recording on our site which features the rebuilt 1962 Steinway D had
Imadagawa hammers on it at the time. This piano is now wearing a set
of Abels. The recording can be found at;

http://overspianos.com.au/tchknoct.mp3

Best,
Ron O.
--