String Breakage

Don Gilmore dgilmore@kcmpi.net
Tue, 10 Feb 2004 09:47:47 -0600

Work hardening or "cold work" only occurs when a material is plastically
deformed.  This is basically when you bend a material and it doesn't return
to its original shape.  For example, you can bend the end of a paper clip a
little and it will return to its original position.  This is "elastic"
deformation and will occur over and over as long as you don't go past the
yield point.  But if you pull it too far, it will plastically deform and
return to a different, bent position.  This is when work hardening will
occur, since the grain structure of the metal has been altered.

In normal playing/pedaling this should not occur.  The excursion of the
string is very small and should never exceed the yield point.

Now, let's talk about fatigue.  Fatigue occurs when a material is flexed
over and over in it's elastic region.  So, even though the end of the paper
clip continues to return to its original position every time, if you do
this, say, 100 million times it could eventually break due to fatigue.  The
number of cycles that a material can stand depends on how close to its
elastic limit (where plastic deformation occurs) you get.  The closer you
get, the fewer cycles it takes for failure.  As you deflect less, you get
more and more potential cycles before an object breaks.  There is a point
(called the "endurance limit") below which the material will *never* break,
no matter how many cycles it undergoes.  It's possible that the piano
strings undergo fatigue from vibration (lots of cycles), but the amplitude
of the string is so small that I would guess that it's actually beyond the
endurance limit, otherwise the most played strings (middle registers) would
break the most.

What is much more likely to be the culprit is the tuning process itself (and
subsequent stretching of the strings).  If you take a string out of a piano
you can see where the plastic deformation is occurring, viz. at the bridge,
agraffes, hitch pin, tuning pin and string rests.  This is where you see
permanent bends in the string.  Every time you tune the piano you drag the
string through this region, especially at the agraffe/capo.  When you pull a
string to a new bearing point (where the agraffe or bridge contacts the
string) you are both bending a formerly straight segment *and* straightening
a formerly bent segment of string.  And the bend is "plastic" so you're work
hardening the metal each time.

Hope this helps!

Don A. Gilmore
Mechanical Engineer