Imadegawa hammers

pianolover 88 pianolover88@hotmail.com
Tue, 10 Feb 2004 09:55:37 -0800

<.....before changing over to Abel in 1996. But I never used the hornbeam
stuff.
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY
    Grand Piano Manufacturers>

So if it's a choice between Abel HORNBEAM or Imadegawa MAHOGANY core, you'd
prefer the latter?

Terry Peterson

----Original Message Follows----
From: Overs Pianos <sec@overspianos.com.au>
To: Pianotech <pianotech@ptg.org>
Subject: Re: Imadegawa hammers
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 00:53:18 +1100

><I personally am not a fan of the Imdegawa hammers
>Phil Bondi (FL)>

Hi Phil and all,

There are two styles of Imadegawa hammers. The el-cheapo version has
Hornbeam cores and while they are well made they are awful hammers. The
Hornbeam seems to result in a hammer which has far too much core hardness,
and they are not only nasty bright sounding things when first installed, but
they seem to almost totally resistant to voicing.

The other style of their hammers has a Walnut core wood, and these are truly
very nice hammers to work with. They are very close to a balanced tone right
out of the box. Typically, they tend to have a fairly small thickness of
felt between the apex of the core wood and the striking point, which does
result in a shorter service life than other hammers with more felt between
the moulding and the striking point. The highest note hammer, C88, typically
has only 3 mm of felt thickness, whereas a more conventionally dimensioned
hammer like an Abel will have over 4 mm.

I used Imadegawa for many years before changing over to Abel in 1996. But I
never used the hornbeam stuff. By the way folks, the mp3 recording on our
site which features the rebuilt 1962 Steinway D had Imadagawa hammers on it
at the time. This piano is now wearing a set of Abels. The recording can be
found at;

http://overspianos.com.au/tchknoct.mp3

Best,
Ron O.