Tightening key bushings

Wed, 11 Feb 2004 13:34:32 +0100

Agreed Dave

The thread started with a fellow asking what to do in case you over do
it with key easing. I still think that if you cant "undo" the damage
with a couple needles into the wood just behind the glue face of the
bushing, then

    1. You definantly need to work on your easing technique, as you've
gone way overboard
    2. If you first are way overboard... change the bushing. A single
bushing is changed in the course of a few minutes.

The swaging tool is another one of those... << it'll do the job but dont
expect to be able to fix'm agin >> type of tools IMHO, and it should be
unecessary (as per punkt 1 above) to begin with :)

I dont like the steaming idea at all myself... steam means the moisture
content in the wood will change, and that means that tommorrow the
bushing is likely to be loose again. Ends up taking about as much time
as it would to simply change the bushing anyways.

Cheers
RicB