Catchers & bridle straps

Keith McGavern kam544@gbronline.com
Wed, 11 Feb 2004 10:58:09 -0600

At 4:33 PM +0300 2/11/04, Max Zuboff wrote:
>   Hello.
>   Are there any chances on removing a catcher from its shank without
>destroying and drilling out the shank or damaging anything else? I
>need to do that in order to replace bridle straps on an upright in
>which the straps go down the same hollows in the catchers to which
>the shanks are glued.

Max,

There is a tool that might let you do this with relative success.
It's a Hammer Head & Butt Extractor type tool available through piano
supply places.

However, there is a much easier method to install new bridle straps
if that is all you're wanting to do. It is using Spring Clip Bridle
Straps as Don Rose mentioned.

Personally, I would consider it overkill to remove the catchers for
this purpose unless you are trying to maintain originality for
whatever reason.

Sincerely,

Keith
--
Keith McGavern                                    Texas State Association
Registered Piano Technician                 SOONER SPRING SEMINAR